Friday, May 24, 2013

Bier Beisl in Beverly Hills

I have never been to Austria, but I have met Austrians (no, they were not the Von Trapps) and I like them. So when I saw Bier Beisl, which translates to "Beer Pub", even though I do not generally drink or like beer, I wanted to try Austrian food. If the food in Austria is anything like the food at Bier Beisl, then I like Austrian food.

What is more Austrian than Bratwurst and sauerkrat? Maybe some mustard on the side? Ok, it's all here and made in house. The sauerkraut had caraway seeds and a juniper berry in it and was divine. The bratwurst was tender, juicy and unlike any bratwurst you have ever eaten from any place else in Los Angeles. All this for only $10. The two sausages and sauerkraut was plenty for me, but if you want to try more, they offer a FIVE course sausage sampler with five beers that you can try for $45.


I tried their schnitzel sampler plate for $26 because I couldn't decide if I wanted veal, pork or turkey. After tasting all three, I still could not pick a favorite. I loved the various accompaniments, from the mustard potato salad to the cucumber salad (hidden under the turkey on the right). The lingonberries were a refreshing counterpoint to the schnitzels and every meat was juicy without being greasy, so if you have never had schnitzel, try it here and you will never accept anything less than great schnitzel (the best I've ever eaten was in Zurich, but this was the best I've ever eaten in the US).

Service can be spotty when they are busy during peak times, but everyone is friendly and does their best to be helpful. The chef has a great rapport with regulars and German speaking guests, so if you are from Austria or the region and speak some German, this could be the place to find your comfort food and have a schnapps or a bier.

BierBeisl Authentic Austrian Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment