Thursday, August 27, 2015

American Burgers at the French National Library

Comfort food is whatever makes you feel better, and I've been missing the US lately, so I craved an American burger. Everyone has recommended Le Camion Qui Fume, or the "Smoking Truck"  the first food truck here in Paris, started by a Californian, so I braved the wait at the Bibliothèque Nationale de France, or French National Library, for a taste.
The line starts on the left as you order and pay, then you shift to the right side to pick up according to your name; at 1pm it was an hour wait total.
Keep in mind if you go later to avoid the lines, they may be out of certain choices, so if you don't want to wait, get there when they open.
For between 9-14 Euros ($11-$16) you can get a burger, or burger and sides at one of their locations
There are three condiment choices for the fries, but I didn't want any of them....
There are no tables or chairs at the truck, but at the Bibliothèque Nationale de France, there are plenty of places to sit on benches or steps, and everyone created their own"picnic" nearby.
I went with the only French friend who was still here in August, who wanted TWO burgers (one to eat, and one to take home), one classic, with cheddar, pickles, onions, tomato, lettuce, and mayonnaise,
and one Barbecue with cheddar, caramelized onions, bacon, barbeque sauce, and mayonnaise (I thought it was weird to combine barbecue sauce with cheese). The fries are crisp, salted, and nearly everyone chose them as their side dish. The burgers are small by US standards, so you can order a double patty for an extra 5 Euros or $6, if you have an American appetite and don't want two burgers. I was perfectly happy with my burger and side, but I eat like a French person now:)
I chose the Campagne, or mushroom, caramelized onion, Swiss Etivaz cheese, and mayonnaise. I was thrilled to see they toasted the inside of the soft bun :)
and I was even happier that there was some pink in the juicy meat! The combination of ingredients made this the best American burger I've eaten in Paris!
Even the coleslaw was outstanding, with real zing, and completely fresh authentic ingredients!
A view of the Seine from the steps of the library made this the perfect lunch spot.
The library itself is huge
with four modern buildings that reached sky high, as well as lower levels that went underground.
The green atrium in the center of the library was a green reminder of what books were made of in olden times, as well as providing some natural elements to the concrete and glass :)

No comments:

Post a Comment