Friday, October 30, 2015

My Favorite Roman Pizza & Gelato

Since my motto is "I will travel for great food", the main reason I went to Rome was to eat :) 

I ate so many delicious things in one week that I may have been channeling Elizabeth Gilbert in "Eat, Pray, Love". I believe that there is very little in life as satisfying as the pleasure of taking your time to savor all the flavors and delights of great food, sharing it with others perhaps, but I got to do that a bit later in the trip.

The only appointment I had made for a sight was for the Vatican Museum and Pizzarium is literally one block from the Metro Station Cipro which is the stop for that attraction. The place also goes by the name Bonci, the creator/owner of Pizzarium, who was there one of the three times I went, training staff on how to dress some slices properly. A rarity in Rome is that they are open every day of the week, although the hours vary a bit on Sunday. If you don't want to wait during Lunch and Dinner go in the lull of the afternoon or late at night. The first day I went around 1pm and waited about 30 minutes, another day I went around 6pm and there was no line at all. If it's crowded, grab a number and watch for it to be posted on the screen above the counter. You order on the left, pick up your drinks from the refrigerators, and then go pay as you wait for your order to be delivered on the right side of the counter. Condiments are also on the right side of the counter, but I didn't want to ruin the perfect flavors by doctoring up my slices.

Every hour and every day, there are new selections, and everything is sold by weight. Prices range from about 20 Euros to over 30 Euros per kilo, a good sized portion will run you 8-12 Euros or about $10-15 US. If you want to try more than one flavor, ask for small slices so you can eat two because their scissors work fast and cut generously unless you tell or show them you want smaller slices. I learned that Rome is almost like the US when it comes to portion sizes, but without doggie bags unless you order your pizza to go:)


I went three out of my seven days in Rome, and never tried another pizza place after my first bite here! The first pizza I got was a spinach, buffalo mozzarella, and anchovy on tomato sauce. The toppings were outstandingly fresh (these were not the canned anchovies you find in the US), and the crust had a crunchy bottom, but the soft chewy texture of a great baguette on top. It was the best combination of topping and crust I've ever tasted in a pizza. There was a reason there was only a small bit of this choice left in the case, and I was glad I got some before it was gone. At first I thought it was too much to finish, but I couldn't stop eating and "somehow" I polished off the entire serving. 
My second time I went for something more traditional, a tomato basil, and an artichoke heart and potato dusted with pecorino cheese. Once again, astounding crust and incredible vegetables. This combo would be a vegetarian's dream, and this time I got two smaller slices and a beer to wash it all down.
For my last day, I went back and saw Bonci putting out the sausage, ricotta, tomato, and basil, so I had to try that as well as the kale with cured lard and mushrooms which Bonci dressed himself with more kale and olive oil. I couldn't stop smiling from happiness with every bite. I could happily eat here every day. With an ever changing menu, friendly staff, and an owner who is passionate about his pizza, you can't go wrong with any choice. 
Italy is famous for their gelato, so one day for breakfast (yes, I really did channel Elizabeth Gilbert), I got some at Sora Lella on Isola Tiberino (the island in the middle of Rome). I wasn't the only one, getting gelato for breakfast at 11am :)
Since it was a nice day, I strolled over to the bank of the river and ate it with a view of the water.
My friend Chantal had just been to Rome a few months ago for her birthday and she told me I HAD to go to La Romana because she didn't even like gelato and loved it here so much that she went daily. 
Just as Bonci's Pizzarium was the best pizza I've ever eaten, La Romana was the best gelato I've ever eaten. They make it there, and have been since 1947. I chose a "small" Fiordelatte (flower of milk) and Sacher (like the chocolate torte flavor) for 2 Euros, or about $2.30 US, which included chocolate or vanilla sauce in the cone, AND home made whipped cream on top! I only added the chocolate at the bottom of my cone and luckily I had plenty of napkins because I forgot and bit into it making a delightful mess like a kid eating a sundae:) The consistency is lighter and smoother than any gelato I've tasted, and the flavors range from the unusual to the approachable, like tiramisu. 

La Romana is near Termini Station, so grab a cone or cup on your way to or from the station. It's behind the ruins and across from the government buildings with all the armed guards, not far from the planetarium which had this inscribed above the door, a quote from Dante's Divine Comedy, "Love that moves the sun and other stars." Dante may have been referring to the pizza and gelato in Rome :)

No comments:

Post a Comment