Friday, January 16, 2009

Dr. BBQ




Dr. Hogly Wogly's Texas BBQ cooks their meats over a backyard wood burning fire. They were founded in 1969, so after numerous people told me about them, I finally went to taste for myself.

With a nice outdoor patio and friendly waitstaff (probably all loyal employees since 1969), my first impression was of an informal warm neighborhood BBQ joint. Prices are very reasonable, especially considering the portion sizes, with dinners around $20, including two sides and nice sweet bread. The picture above is of ONE dinner of beef and pork ribs. Sides choices include very sweet semi pureed brown sugar beans, macaroni salad, cole slaw, and potato salad.

Overall I prefer the ribs at Mr. Cecil's (see earlier post) which have a falling off the bone tenderness and nice smoky flavor, but the beef brisket at Dr. Hogly Wogly's was superb; their secret BBQ sauce marinade makes this the best dish on the menu, and I would highly recommend getting at least a sandwich here to taste the tender and tasty brisket. None of the sides were to my liking, but everyone who likes lots of mayonnaise in their potato salad and sweet beans, would love them.

It's always good to try out a famous landmark and form your own opinion; I'm glad I tried Dr. Hogly Wogly's because I found the best BBQ beef brisket in Los Angeles.

No comments:

Post a Comment