Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Oceanis Bay Studios

My first view of Santorini from the plane.


I stayed at the Oceanis Bay Studios in Kamari during my stay in Santorini and I must say that it was the perfect place for a relaxing beach holiday. I can't think of anywhere else in Western Europe where you can get accommodations like this on the beach for 55 Euros a night (about $75 USD). As you can see from this photo of me on the balcony of my studio, it is literally across the road from the black beach of Kamari.

Walking to the beach and looking back on Oceanis, I stayed in the upper right studio with a wonderful balcony view of the ocean and sunrise.

Between the studios and the beach, the owners kept a beautiful garden, which provided fresh flowers for the rooms and a marvelous lush green respite from the heat of the beach. People walking on the beach path were constantly stopping to take pictures of the garden.


My private balcony had two chairs, a table, and an incredible view of the beach; it was the perfect spot to have breakfast or a sunset drink.

The studio is huge, with a full dining area, fridge, hot plates, utensils, plates, cups, pots & pans, and even a tea kettle. It has a great air conditioning unit and even satellite television. I turned it on during my stay just to see what was on, and once I saw they were showing "The Nanny" in English with Greek subtitles, I turned it off.


The bathroom was small with new amenities, but adequate for a beach side stay. Larger people might have a problem fitting into the shower. They changed the sheets and mopped DAILY, providing fresh towels every other day and even gave me a beach towel to use during my stay. This was one of the most spotless places I have ever stayed.

Since Kamari is on the East Coast of the island, sunrise woke me at 7:30am with this view, so I had breakfast watching the sunrise nearly every morning.

Not only was the location superb at the end of the busy beach front hustle of restaurants and shops, but my wonderful hosts Vaggelis & Analypsi who own and run the place made my stay unforgettable. They provided everything from restaurant recommendations to explaining how things work (beach lounges and sunbrellas belong to the city and you pay to rent them all day), and where to visit besides the main tourist attractions (Pyrgos and Ammoundi). The only thing that did not work was the WiFi, but it did not seem to work at any location at the beach due to the winds, so I was forced to simply enjoy being there, not a bad thing at all.

Effaristo to my hosts and I will see you on my next trip:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment