Friday, October 29, 2010

Athens Gate

A Greek friend of mine recommended Athens Gate for my stay in Athens ($200-500 a night), and I must say it was one of the highlights of my stay in Athens. The location is perfect with the Plaka, Acropolis, The National Park, Monastriki, and Syntagma Square, all within easy walking distance. Location is one thing, but in a big city like Athens, having peace of mind and a clean welcoming hotel are all equally important, and Athens gate delivered on all points. The staff was excellent from the very patient doorman who literally pointed me to the Plaka (I have almost no sense of direction), to the helpful front desk staff recommending restaurants which would be open at the ungodly hour of 6 pm for dinner (Greeks generally eat at 8pm), to the bar staff which always served with a smile.

The plain concrete facade does not give any hint of the wonderful interior and the superb staff. There are two seating areas; the main lobby shown here serves coffee and tea to early risers who either don't have and appetite or time for the complimentary breakfast buffet on the rooftop restaurant (they packed me a breakfast to go on my last day because I had a 5am airport transfer).

A side lobby also has a seating area for those who want a quiet spot to either sit or wait for use of the complimentary business center.


The complimentary business center allows guest 20 minutes of free internet access with printer; there was never more than a 5 minute wait for another guest.


There was even a small bar area next to the business center.


My single room was immaculate and had wonderful linens, a desk and sitting area, and blackout curtains.


The bathroom was modern with olive oil soaps, shampoos, and soft towels (which they asked you to hang up if you did not want them exchanged).

A large wardrobe held two robes, a safe, and a fully stocked mini bar which had very reasonable prices for everything from sodas to scotch.

When I arrived in the afternoon, my room was not quite ready, so they held my baggage and sent me to the rooftop bar for a complimentary drink and this was the view I was welcomed with as I sat on a couch in the bar.


On another side of the bar and restaurant, you get a view of the Acropolis.

On my last evening, I chose the hotel bar for a last drink with a view.

Next month's posts will be back to places in Los Angeles and surrounding areas. I hope you enjoyed your vicarious trip to Greece with me this month :)

No comments:

Post a Comment