Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Campagnola

Whenever an Italian suggests that I join them at an Italian restaurant, odds are good that I will be happy with my meal. Campagnola makes my kind of happy meal. Service is superbly European, the wine list has good labels, with bottles that are under $65, and the ambiance is both comfortable enough for a casual meal and upscale enough for a date.

The tapenade was a good indication of the great things to come. You see only part of the serving below because I completely forgot to take a photograph before devouring several bites of the wonderful olives in olive oil and red peppers. You can taste the olive oil in a tapenade and it is evident that they have used very good quality oil to compliment the firm bite of the earthy olives.


Whenever I see spinach sauteed with garlic I have to order it and this fresh green version for only $5 was addictive.


Since I missed my steak tartare fix this week, I ordered the beef carpaccio, thinly sliced raw beef topped with arugola, capers, and shaved parmesan in a lemon dressing for $12.25. This was one of the best versions I have ever eaten in my life! Again the quality of the ingredients, in this case the beef, elevated the dish to ethereal heights.


Robin (the Italian) ordered the Pollo alla Scamorza, a sauteed chicken breast topped with spinach oil, garlic, cherry tomatoes and smoked mozzarella cheese served with mashed potatoes and sauteed spinach for $17.95. I tasted the dish so I can report that not only was the chicken tender, juicy, and well seasoned, but even the potatoes were perfectly done with tender centers and crisp exteriors.


I had no room for dessert, but Robin said the Tartufo was only the size of a "lepton" and I tasted the exquisite chocolate and hazelnut ice cream confection, not once, but twice.


If you are in the mood for some Northern Italian food, you can't go wrong at Campagnola (even if you're not Italian).

Campagnola on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment