Saturday, July 14, 2012

Bouchon Bistro For Bastille Day

Happy Bastille Day!

Since I was not in France this year, I had to "make do" with celebrating La Fête Nationale in Beverly Hills. Yes, I know I live a rough life :) I put on my Philippe Adec navy and white striped T shirt and jeans and headed over to Bouchon, which had an all day Happy Hour with drinks, food and balloons! The house wines were only $5 a glass (and decent), spirits only $7, and beers only $4, alors santé!


The daily soup special was a fresh pea soup which was as light and fresh as summer would taste in a soup.


The regular soup was tomato basil, and this is probably my favorite version (ok, maybe tied with the one at Bottega Louie). If you love tomatoes, this will have you licking the bowl:)


The bakery next door makes the incredible epi that comes with your meal (and I took a warm baguette home from the bakery just because it's one of the best baguettes in Los Angeles). If you have never been to France, come here and have some of the bread so you will get an idea of why peasants stormed the Bastille because they could not afford bread.


The Happy Hour menu included a tomato and burrata crostini for only $4. I'm not a big burrata fan and didn't taste this, but the tomatoes were ripe, lightly dressed and allowed to simply shine.


I could not resist the $2 oysters. I started with 8 and ended up eating 4 more for an even dozen. Absolutely fresh, served WITHOUT being rinsed, and with a simple squeeze of lemon, this was a perfect meal for me.


The pork belly sliders with home made cole slaw and cornichons were delightful to the eye and stomach. They serve TWO for $8 but I didn't get a chance to snap the photo before one was already devoured!


I lusted after every cone of french fries which arrived to other tables, so we decided to order one and I ended up eating more potatoes than I have in a year! They were a bit thin for my taste, but they remained crisp even when cold and I couldn't stop eating them!


My favorite plate here is the lentils with duck confit and poached egg. It is my ultimate "old lady" comfort food (soft chewable food)! I only managed to eat about half of my bowl ($15.50), but the leftovers warm up superbly and I know I will have at least another comforting meal tomorrow!


The lemon tart is the must have dessert here, with a meringue top and a shortbread crust, it is just tangy enough to make you forget this is a sweet dessert. Served with buttery cookie crisps, this is a wonderful way to end an evening.


Bastille Day was a great excuse to go to my favorite French bistro and enjoy people watching from the outdoor cafe overlooking the first public garden built in Beverly Hills in the last decade. Marie Antoinette may have said, "Let them eat cake" but I would rather eat bread and oysters at Bouchon.


Bouchon Bistro on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment