Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Chelsea with Romeo

I rented a place with AirBnB in Chelsea for part of my stay and my wonderful hosts, Kenny and Romeo, made my trip even more fun. The apartment is on the upper floor of this building in the gallery district, with views of the Hudson, and near many bus and subway lines, so getting around town is a breeze. If you prefer to get to your destination directly, the concierge will hail you a cab.
 The lobby is sleek and modern,
 with a waterfall in front of the elevators,
 and even the elevators are designed beautifully.
 A 24 hour gym is in the building and there are sitting areas by an outdoor atrium.
My rental was in the middle of the living area, but my host had his own room, so it was like being in a studio apartment.

 The toilet is HEATED and has a built in bidet:)
 This view of the sun setting over the Hudson is from my bed!

The rental is walking distance (or two stops by bus) from Chelsea Market, so for a quick bite, I went to Mokbar, behind the spice merchant. I was too early for Happy Hour when they have small plates and discounted drinks, but I was so happy to have a place open all afternoon, unlike in Paris when everything closes between lunch and dinner.
I chose the bulgogi rice bowl for $13, which was loaded with grilled crisp beef and vegetables, but I added garlic spinach $2 anyway. It was a big hearty serving and the kimchee was a perfect spicy acidic counterpoint to the rich beef.
I'd never had Tiger beer ($7) from Singapore and was so intrigued by the name I ordered it, and now I think I may actually like a beer enough to order it again! The Gold Medal awarded beer is smooth and rich, a perfect accompaniment to a hearty bowl of beef. The total with tax and tip was about $28, but as I learned in NYC, everything is a bit pricey compared to LA or even Paris. If you're looking for  a bite of something less expensive, my friend from LA suggests the taco stand directly opposite Mokbar which sells $4 tacos that are as close to West Coast tacos as you'll find in NYC.
One of the main reasons I rented a place in Chelsea was because a good friend lives in the neighborhood, so the advantage of being a few blocks away from her place meant we could walk to meet each other at a place like Tia Pol. What better way to start off a reunion than with a glass of Cava? This brut was delicious, so we had two :)
She recommended the crispy artichoke and asparagus salad for $13 to start, and it was much tastier than it looks; the crisp artichoke added a nice earthy texture to the tender romaine and white asparagus, and the lemon vinaigrette perfectly dressed the salad. One person could easily make a meal of this if they weren't very hungry.
Since I love anchovies, I got two of the olive, pepper, and anchovy skewers for $2 each, and they were so good, I forgot to take a photo before eating one:)
 The lamb skewers with Moorish spices at $7 for two were perfect little bites of flavorful meat.
The crispy marinated fish with lemon for $12 was a bigger plate and we were very happy splitting the plate that would've been too much with all the other plates we had ordered.
 She wanted the patatas bravas for $8 with a spicy aioli, and I took a bite just for research:)
 The classic flan for $6 was a smooth sweet way to end the night.
 As night fell on the city, it was time for me to go to bed,
where Romeo was waiting for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment