Monday, October 31, 2016

Chinese Food and French Cheese

Moving can be a thrilling and exciting experience. Sorting and discarding the old as you prepare for the new possibilities that await is a cathartic process. Moving is also an excruciating experience because transitions are never completely smooth nor simple, especially when moving from one country to another. I am very fortunate to have wonderful friends all over the world because with their help I have been able to retain my sanity through two overseas moves in three years :)

As with all moves, once the kitchen is packed, there are certain things that must be modified in order to eat. My wonderful friends and neighbors lent me some silverware and cooking utensils so I could at least make coffee and eat on real plates. Fortunately there were some great options for take out nearby like Happy Nouilles. They serve a mix of Asian food, from sushi to satay, and although they are in a suburb catering to French tastes, their dishes are fresh and have enough Asian sensibility to satisfy my picky palate.

Their garlic shrimp actually tasted like garlic with nice sized fresh shrimp.

The mixed vegetables included authentic Asian ingredients like wood ear mushrooms, bamboo shoots, and water chestnuts.
The Thai basil beef had a nice aromatic flavor as well as peppers, onions, and real Thai basil.
Even the side dish of noodles included fresh vegetables and had a nice light sauce.
The shrimp shu mai were a bit bland, but in keeping with French taste preferences.
Because my order totaled over 20 Euros ($22 USD), they included some shrimp chips
and a coconut "snowball" mochi dessert that was quite tasty.
While I still had some furniture, I invited some friends over for one last apéro at my place. It was a French version of a potluck. I provided (bought) roast chicken, sand carrots & radishes. One friend made mayonnaise (she whipped it by hand in a bowl) with avocados and shrimp; a neighbor brought some bottles of wine he had helped harvest; and his friend brought
 cheese that was literally made that morning, along with
with three others:)
We ended the evening with a raspberry sorbet; a sweet ending to a bittersweet evening of au revoir.

No comments:

Post a Comment